Two decades on and text messages or SMS (short message service) are still the No. 1 way to exchange information.
Because for reach and effectiveness, no other messaging medium comes close to SMS. Almost every mobile phone, smart or otherwise, can natively send and receive texts. Better still, people actually want to connect by text.
Texting’s universality seems to represent an unparalleled opportunity for businesses to connect more effectively and more successfully with their customers and their employees. But can we believe the hype?
These astonishing, sourced statistics say yes.
SMS Text: General Statistics
- 67% of the world’s population are now connected by mobile devices. That’s over 5 billion unique mobile subscribers with the ability to send and receive text messages .
- By 2025 the number of unique mobile subscribers will reach 5.9 billion .
- 15,220,700 texts are sent every minute of every day .
- 80% of smartphone users check their phones within the first 15 minutes of waking up.
- 18-24 year olds check their phones at least 86 times a day. The rest of us check our phones 47 times a day .
- The #1 function users access on their phones each day is texting (88%), with email coming in second . And calling doesn’t even make the list!
SMS Text: Business Statistics
- 90% opened in the first 3 minutes .
- 98% read rate, compared to 22% of emails, 29% of tweets and 12% of Facebook posts .
- 54% of opted-in users respond to a business SMS .
- Opt-out rates for SMS campaigns are less than 5% .
- 90% of mobile phone users globally want to talk to businesses using messaging, finding it more relevant and timely than email or voice communications .
- 85% of consumers want to reply to a message from a business or engage in a 2-way conversation .
- 84% of consumers state that service-based messaging positively impacts their decision to choose one company over another .
- 78% of respondents say a text message is the fastest way to be reached for important service updates on purchases .
- Companies with effective employee communications deliver a significantly higher total return to shareholders (91%) and a 16% increase in market share .
- 75% of people want offers sent to them via SMS .
- Mobile offers are redeemed 10 times more frequently than print offers .
- Sales prospects who are sent text messages convert at a rate 40% higher than those who are not sent a text message .